Do you provide emergency care?

Yes, during clinic hours.  If an emergency occurs during clinic hours please call us immediately so that we can prepare for your arrival.  If time is of the essence, do not delay transporting your pet to our hospital to make a phone call.
For emergencies after hours or on weekends or holidays, please see these hospitals.

Do you provide boarding services?

Yes, but on a limited basis. Our feline friends are welcome to stay with us while their parents are away. Additionally, pets on medications that require more expertise, for example insulin, will be monitored carefully in your absence.

Do I need to make an appointment to see the veterinarian for a prescription refill?

In most cases no appointment is necessary; however, an active patient-doctor relationship is a requirement for a prescription refill. This means that your pet has to have been seen for a comprehensive exam annually and any new pets who need medications should meet with the doctor for an initial exam. Also, some medications require blood laboratory tests to monitor blood levels and potential side effects, which can affect the ability to refill medications. Call the office today with any questions about medication refills!

How do I crate-train my dog?

The safest and most effective way to “potty train” is using a crate.  The concept is simple.  Puppies do not like to pee and poop where they sleep.  The crate should only be as big as the puppy is currently.  There should be very little extra room.  Ideally, you buy a crate suitable for the adult size dog and block it off to their size now, adjusting it every few weeks.  Many people feel crate training is cruel.  On the contrary, the dogs love their crate.  They are safe, dry, warm and very comfortable.  Puppies feel very secure in their own “condo.”  Until completely trained, puppies should be in their crates when no one is available to supervise.  This means at night or when you’re in the shower, etc.  A puppy about 8 weeks old should only have to get up once during the night.  DO NOT make this play time.  It is time for “business” only and then right back to bed.  The crate is also very useful in training your adolescent dog.  Until your dog can be fully trusted, they should be in the crate when you are not at home.  This prevents damage to your house as well as unnecessary foreign material consumption.  If you get your dog used to a crate you can also reduce the incidence of separation anxiety.  A “must have” for any dog owner is a toy called a KONG.  This is an irregularly shaped hollow ball made of very thick rubber.  Not only is it fun to watch it bounce and ricochet all over, it can be filled with treats.  Before leaving the house, fill the KONG with peanut butter and treats then place it in the crate with your dog.  Guaranteed your dog will be less anxious about your leaving while he/she is distracted by eating scrumptious goodies.

Should I microchip my pet?

Yes, absolutely.  A microchip is a device the size of a grain of rice  placed under the skin between your pet’s shoulder blades.  This chip contains a number that is unique to your pet.  If he/she is ever lost and then found by someone, the chip can be scanned which will provide the information to have your pet returned to you.

Do I need to get a dog license?

Every dog in Chester County must have a license.  Applications are available in our office or on the county’s website (click over to our Links page). Annual or lifetime licenses are available.  Please contact our office or the Chester County SPCA (click over to our Linkspage) for more details.